[RTTY] re the blacklisting

Jim Reisert AD1C jjreisert at alum.mit.edu
Wed Apr 18 12:58:00 EDT 2007

--- Bill Turner <dezrat at copper.net> asked:

> Why would you say up 1 instead of just up?

Sometimes the callers can't hear each other.  If I send "UP" do I mean up 1, up
5, what?  Plus, up 1 gives enough space to keep my Tx freq clear.

Running a pileup well has two related properties:

- work guys as fast as possible
- use the least bandwidth possible

You can spread guys WAY out, but the rate will go down (you have to search for
the callers).  You can have everyone call on the same frequency, and the rate
will go down (hard to pick out full calls).  There is some happy medium.

If I say "up 1" and I'm working 200/hour up 2, why change anything?  If the
lids can't figure out where I'm listening, then they won't slow down my rate,
as long as they're not calling me way up the band, which defeats the least
bandwidth principle.

73 - Jim AD1C

USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us