[RTTY] New radio from Elecraft, the K3, looks REALLY good for RTTY

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 faunt at panix.com
Sun Apr 29 21:35:52 EDT 2007

Yes, you're are wise to be conservative in your purchase of this new radio.
You probably shouldn't buy one for at least a year or two.  Note how
flaky Elecraft has been with the announcement of their amplifier.
Or you could note the performance of the K2, and the number of changes
and improvements that have been introduced since it's original delivery.

Me, I'm glad that ICOM wasn't generous to us in the price they offered
for the purchase of the N8S PRO3's.  Otherwise, I'd be lumbered with
one (which would have replaced a 756PRO).

I will admit that I have one of the Z90 panadapters, so as soon as I
get the radio, I'll have a bandscope to use with it, since I'm
addicted to the bandscope myself.

73, doug

   From: Bill Turner <dezrat at copper.net>
   Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 18:17:05 -0700

   On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:41:24 -0400 (EDT), Doug Faunt N6TQS
    +1-510-655-8604 <faunt at panix.com> wrote:

   >You may be unaware of that Elecraft has unveiled a new radio, the K3.
   >The relevance here is that it appears that ALL the deficiencies of the
   >K2 for RTTY have been remedied in the K3, and it should be an
   >outstanding radio in all respects.  I suspect it's going to be THE
   >radio for serious RTTY in fairly short order.

   ------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

   Looks very good on paper. I'd like to see a head to head comparison
   with the IC-756Pro3. By the time you add all the options the Pro3
   comes with, the price would be about the same. One thing that caught
   my eye is that the panadaptor (spectrum display) will be a separate
   box on the K3 (when available) whereas the Pro3 has it built in.
   Having used one for about a year now, I wouldn't be without it. When
   the band is dead - or you think it is - it will be your best friend.

   One interesting item in the FAQ: You can send RTTY or PSK with a CW
   paddle! The radio converts the paddle input into the proper data mode
   characters and sends them. It also has a built in demodulator for each
   so no computer is required. Data modes without a computer? What will
   they think of next? :-)

   Bill W6WRT
   certified ICOMaholic