[RTTY] Odd RTTY signal, 3 pair of tones w/ 3 diff shifts

John - AI4FR AI4FR at ARRL.NET
Mon Aug 6 12:25:02 EDT 2007

Good eyeball there Art. I have seen some thing like this happen two or three times with a station in Mexico. All of a sudden the bandscope on my Icom Pro 2 would just come alive with signals. What an awesome display. After a little bit of investigation work I found the station causing the problem. I forget the call but do remember it was a station in Mexico. Every time I have witnessed it the problem did not last long. Usually under a minute or two at the most. So I have always thought that it might have been a button that got accidentally pushed or the station just came on the air and forget to change a setting. They were always quick to fix the problem and I have wondered if some type of station monitor on their end was tossing out clues. Either way, the operator of the station was alert and knew what they were doing as the problem was quickly taken care of.

73
John / AI4FR

A strange thing happened in the Tara Grid Dip contest.  I was tuning down in frequency when I came across a signal that was 350 Hz shift.  I set my shift to 350 Hz and could copy him fine.  Later I came across a shift that was 240 Hz and the signal was reversed.  A little further down the band I found 6F75A transmitting with a normal signal calling CQ.  I opened up my bandwidth and could see 3 pairs of RTTY tones with 3 different shift.  You could see all 3 signals in sync as 6F75A transmitted.  Anyone ever see anything like this before?

73 Art W2NRA
"Keep to the Code!"
w2nra.com