[RTTY] Spotting RTTY frequencies...

Jack West XP w7ld at theriver.com
Fri Aug 31 17:30:09 EDT 2007

Hi All,

Most of you probably know what I am about to say, but many ops new to RTTY
do not.  All radios in ham radio are not equal.

It is possible to have three different radios, all transmitting on exactly the same
frequency, and all three radios have different frequency displays.

!. Old Kenwoods such as my TS-940 display the Space frequency vice the
  Mark frequency.  Thus when operating in FSK on 3.580 MHz, I have to
  subtract the Shift (in hertz) from 3.580 and set the frequency display to:
  3.579.83 to xmit exatly on the 3.580 Mhz mark frequency.  This is condition 1.

2. Most new radios, when operating in FSK display the Mark frequency correctly
    as 3.580.00 such as the Icom 756 Pro III.

3. Other radios when operting in AFSK on 3.580 (and LSB) will add the mark
   frequency low tone (2125 hz) and display 3.582.125 Mhz.

All three of the above radios are transmitting RTTY Mark at exactly the same
frequency of 3.580.00 but the frequency displays to the operators are all
different.

I have been NCS of the West Coast Ratts Net since 1988 and it is always fun
to get new comers to understand how to get on the intended frequency.

My two cents..
73
de Jack / W7LD / "Lucky Dog"
NNNN