[RTTY] Help with Cub Scout demo

Doug Hall k4dsp.doug at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 14:36:00 EST 2007

Hi RTTY folks,
Tomorrow evening (Monday Feb 5 EST) I have a group of cub scouts coming to
my house to learn a bit about Amateur Radio. While nearly all of these kids
are computer literate, they are not familiar with ham radio. I'd like to
show them how text chatting was done before Instant Messenger came along, so
if any of you kind souls could meet me on the air tomorrow evening around
0015Z (7:15PM EST) for a quick RTTY QSO I would appreciate it. It would be
even better if we could then head up to the phone band so they could put a
voice with the callsign and say hi to you themselves. And if you're game to
switch to CW for a few minutes we could show them that as well. But I'll
take any mode I can get - don't think we have to work 'em all.

I'm in Raleigh, NC, and have 160m through 70cm capability with 1KW on HF. If
you're within a few hundred miles I suspect 80m would be a good bet, and
beyond that we might try 20m or 40m. The kids will be here around 7PM EST,
so if you could be around shortly thereafter I'd appreciate it. Drop me a
note and we can coordinate the frequency. If I get multiple responses
perhaps we could have a quick roundtable. I'll be chatting with some locals
on an FM repeater, but I'd like to show the kids an example of "real" radio
as well :-)

Thanks in advance and 73,
Doug, K4DSP
Raleigh, NC