[RTTY] FT-920 & RTTY

Dick Thompson w0raa at w0raa.com
Tue Feb 6 10:56:27 EST 2007

I'm hoping that somebody has experienced the problem described below and resolved it.  If so, please tell me how you did it.

I am running a Yaesu FT-920 on RTTY.  I do not use an interface.  I go directly from the 5 pin DIN socket on the rear of the 920 to the sound card.  I place the radio in DATA/USB to run AFSK.  All works fine, and I have done quite well in RTTY contests with this setup.  Please, no replies that say I have to run in DATA/LSB to make it work.  The switch on the back of the 920 for AFSK/FSK is in the AFSK position.  Now the kicker.

I have a friend who has the same radio as I have.  I/we have hooked his up exactly the same as mine, in an attempt to get him operational on RTTY.  But, when we put his radio in DATA/USB it shows that it is transmitting, but no sound is coming from the radio.  When we place it in DATA/LSB, we get a mark tone but no space.  In other words just a solid carrier.  No diddle.  Although it comes through the soundcard and speakers on his system as a diddle, the only thing going out on the air is a solid tone.

We have gone through the menu settings on my FT-920 and made his a duplicate of that.  He has a SB Audigy soundcard, like I have, but with subtle differences.  In general his soundcard is identical to mine.

I feel that the resolution to the problem lies in the way the data cable from the back of the 920 is connected to the soundcard.

A while back, I even took his cable home with me, hooked it up to my system and it worked just fine.  Back to his system and we get the same results.  No diddle, just a solid tone like somebody is tuning up on frequency.  It receives just fine.  Transmitting is the problem.

Is there anybody out there that has experienced a similar problem and been able to resolve it?  We are pulling our hair out on this one, and neither of us has that much hair to pull out.  Hi Hi.  It's really frustrating.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dick
W0RAA

PS:  Hope to see many of you in the upcoming WW WPX RTTY this weekend.