[RTTY] PSK and waterfall

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Wed Feb 14 09:27:03 EST 2007

> One guy trying to work a DX recently had 13 printable signals
> at the same time! I was using HamScope's ability to copy
> multiple signals, and there were 13 traces all with the same text.

That is not a matter of power level but of improperly setting the
audio drive to the transmitter.  A high power signal cal be just
as clean as a QRP signal if the operator takes precautions not to
overdrive the radio and keeps his processor turned off.

> But...the worst problem is some PSK'ers using extremely high
> power! I watched some recently, and there were folk quite plainly
> saying they were running 600 watts!

So what?  A clean signal is a clean signal.  There is no difference
between a 600 watt state several thousand km away and the 10 watt
station on km down the road.  Both will cause the same AGC issues
in my receiver if I am using a 2.4KHz receive filter.

I would rather deal with a clean 600 watt signal than an overdriven
and clipped 10 watt signal from a neighbor.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV