[RTTY] PSK and waterfall

Bill Turner dezrat at copper.net
Wed Feb 14 11:38:58 EST 2007

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:58:51 +0000, "pcooper" <pcooper at guernsey.net>
 wrote:

>But...the worst problem is some PSK'ers using extremely high power!
>I watched some recently, and there were folk quite plainly saying they were running 600 watts!
>Perhaps if they could see what happens at the other end, they might drop it back a little. PSK was devised to be a low power mode, and is really excellent fun at 10 watts or less.
>Back when PSK first became available using Windows, I was regularly making contacts with less than one watt.

Deep down in my heart I am a DXer first, contester a close second and
rag chewer a distant third. It saddens me to see the "PSK is a low
power mode" mantra repeated when with the addition of some steam, PSK
could be a great DX mode. If you can work a certain distance with ten
watts, high power will get you further. Simple physics.

But I realize I'm swimming against the PSK tide, so for now I'll run
RTTY high power for serious DXing.

Sigh.

73, Bill W6WRT