[RTTY] PSK and waterfall - some more

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Wed Feb 14 13:41:36 EST 2007

Hi once more,

OK, I will agree, I made a fundamental mistake here! I generated an email on
the spur of the moment, and cleanly forgot about overdriven signals being
the worst.

HOWEVER............. I will still stand by the fact that a 600 watts PSK
signal will drown a lot of the waterfall.
I have seen how bright a 600 watt trace will be, and it clearly wipes out
any chance of seeing close signals.
Given that a lot of DX PSK will be listening up, but not a lot, you stand a
chance of not catching them at all.

I do concur that 10 watts overdriven will be bad, same as any signal, and I
do feel that a lot of PSK'ers do not understand this.

Bill W6WRT, I have to disagree slightly with you on the fact that PSK is not
a low power mode. Perhaps I should re-word it to say that low power is
preferable?

Those of us who used PSK after being on RTTY are far better at using
"optimum power" where necessary, and are wise to overdriven signals. Many of
those who just use PSK are not.
Yes, I agree, PSK could indeed be a great mode for DX, but my experience has
been that there are simply too many folk using it without any consideration
of what needs to be set up.

On the plus side, this thread has raised some very useful thoughts!

73 all,

Phil GU0SUP