[RTTY] Improving receiving performance

Jerry Pixton jpixton at shentel.net
Sat Feb 17 09:20:53 EST 2007

Don, et al

Is the "multi-path" profile what you are calling "ground wave" profile? Or
is there another profile that could be entered and saved. I always have to
pick my times to work Mike, K4GMH, about 80 miles away.

This past wpx I was also cranking the RF Gain way down on the 756 Pro II
and experimenting with an external sound card (which my impression, without
a side by side comparison, is it did not work as well as my Santa Cruz).

On the Icom 756 Pro II, I always use the RTTY Filter turned on - it has
much better skirts that the regular rtty mode  filters. I have the
bandwidth set to 250 hz. But, unlike most of you I would guess, I have
turned the Twin Peak filtering off because there was just too much audio
hiss in my radio. On the rare occasion, I really want a Twin Peak filter,
my external audio DSP  MFJ-784B is sitting on a Twin Peak position so I
only have to push one button.

However in playing with the Attn control, I have discovered what may be a
failure on my radio. The 6 dB position drops the signal appropriately but
the 12 dB and 18 dB positions put the signal down in the grass level. I
don't recall this ever happening in the past what I was making transmitter
isolation measurement, etc.

Jerry

At 06:15 PM 2/16/2007 -0600, Don Hill AA5AU wrote:
>#1 - I usually adjust my RF gain to show between +5 to +20 and sometimes
>higher on 80 meters when signals are strong.
>
>#2 - I use the default settings in MMTTY (Standard profile) most of the
>time and occasionally use the flutter profile on fluttery
>signals.  With KK5OQ, I sometimes have to use the ground wave profile.

Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs LLC
jpixton at shentel.net