[RTTY] North Dakota contesting

Bill and Cindy wb0o at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 15 16:39:40 EST 2007

  It is very interesting to read some of the (misinformed) comments
on RTTY and contesting in general from North Dakota.....

  I contested from northern North Dakota 1983-2003, including RTTY
RU, and FRUSTRATION is the word that sums it all up. Very few hams
understand what the AURORA does to a radio signal, but it will sap
the competitiveness and spirit out of any contester given time....

  The AURORA is present 50% of the time. There is NO European short
path on 40/80/160 most of the time, and when a flare hits there is
simply NO propagation anywhere. You can't imagine how many times I
would get psyched up the week before any given contest, and the
bands were dead or very poor the whole weekend. Or a flare would
hit in the middle and I would turn off the radio....

  Most people enter contests not necessarily to win but to at least
do well. When you can't do either, you schedule other non radio
activities. Some of you "competitive" types should try a contest in
North Dakota. You won't go back.......

73, Bill WB0O/KO7AA in Tucson, AZ