[RTTY] CI-V issue

Peter Laws plaws0 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 11:39:17 EDT 2007

Hi, all.

I'm trying to diagnose a problem I'm having with my IC746Pro.  Got a
new USB cable for it the other week and, when I got it, it worked
fine.  Now I can't seem to get it to work at all.  Reverted to the old
serial cable (a Yaesu/RT Systems ADMS cable - yup, they work for Icom
CI-V!) and still nada.  I confirmed the non-working-ness under both DX
Lab Suite's Commander and N1MM Logger.  I also confirmed that the
serial cable worked in it's intended role as an ADMS cable with my
Yaesu FT50RD.

Anyone have the CORRECT serial settings for the 746?  The programs
were set differently and I don't know which was correct if either one
even was.

I'd blame this on the driver for the USB cable except that the serial
cable doesn't seem to work either.  Later today, I'll dig out the
IC725 and see if I can get either cable to work with that.

Oh, and did I mention that N5UWY had a nearby lightning strike?  :-)
Took out an ethernet switch, the motherboard of the Other PC, and the
onboard NIC of the Radio PC.  Antennas were all unplugged (and have
Transi-Traps at the window) as was all power, but the network was
still connected.  Didn't have any issues with the DSL modem or the
wireless AP/router or any POTS equipment.

What I'm thinking is that the CI-V circuitry may have got zapped.  The
USB port that the radio was plugged into is next to the built-in NIC.
The 746 functions fine otherwise.

Anyone have experience with claims on the ARRL insurance?  I have a
feeling that this is where the story ends, but I really need to work
through testing the CI-V stuff.   :-/

73,
Peter Laws
N5UWY
ARRL VE, LM, HF Awards Manager
WAC (phone)
WAS #51466 / RTTY WAS #410 / WAS/90

--
Peter Laws | N5UWY | plaws0 gmail | Travel by Train!

"They that can give up essential Liberty to
obtain a little temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin