[RTTY] Power out vs ALC?

Stephen & Marilyn Haines shaines at chaconet.com.py
Wed Jun 13 10:50:39 EDT 2007

 From a RTTY newcomer: I'm using MMTTY, a soundcard, and an FT-757. If I
keep the audio drive to the "phone patch in" connector on the rear of
the rig to a level just below where the ALC indicator begins to move, I
get around 25 watts out. I don't know precisely, but the MFJ tuner
indicates roughly that.

Is that the correct operating procedure: no ALC indication? From what I
can tell, the tones are clean, and psk31 with MMVARI also works.

Secondly, is 25 watts enough drive for a small amp? Say, the Ameritron
811 or 811H, or the solid state mobile amp? Would that be the easiest
way to end up with 100 to 150 watts output.

73 from Paraguay, Steve ZP9EH