[RTTY] GU0SUP BARTG HF SOABLP

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Mon Mar 19 13:26:13 EST 2007

Hi all,

What a shame about the conditions! I didn't get to start until Saturday
afternoon at about 1325UTC, so missed whatever there may have been in the
first section of the contest.
However, it looks as though that wasn't a great deal, as it was hard work
all afternoon.
I spent ages CQ'ing with little response, other than a few of the "big guns"
came and sat about 100Hz away ffrom me and called CQ. One was so close that
I had his MARK tone on my Space tone, with the result that I had to move.

When I was S&P, I had an SV1 station keep calling ME, so I had to ask for
repeats many times.
Despite the hassle, I did manage all 6 continents in 28 QSO's!

It was quiet all afternoon, with poor signals, and I see that many regulars
were playing in the Russian DX contest, and as that was both SSB and CW, us
on RTTY were hemmed in from below and above. There were plenty of stations
CQ'ing in SSB down as far as 14.103, and CW up to 14.075. Even 40m was
hemmed in.

I did try again later in the evening, but 40m was bare, and 80m was very
noisy.

I planned to get an early start on Sunday morning, but was kept awake a lot
of the night with fierce storm force winds and hail, plus the odd clap of
thunder, so didn't start again on Sunday till about 0725UTC.
Sunday was better, and I did get spotted several times, which helped a
little, but I could not get a decent run going at all.
Had to work hard to work some US call areas, and only missed W6 in the end,
although I did hear N6QQ and one other (N6ND??). I even worked W7 before I
found a W5!
Missed Bob VE6YR for a mult, although he was S9 here, but he didn't hear me.
VA7ST was much easier to work!

Here is my claimed score:
Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 15

   80:   23        15          0
   40:   41        26          4
   20:  184       41         16
   15:    7         7            1
   10:    0         0            0
Total:  255      89        21
Continents = 6
Total Score = 168,300

Thanks to all for the Q's, and to BARTG for the fun contest.
My QSO's are now on LoTW, but cards are welcome too - direct or bureau.

73 de Phil GU0SUP