[RTTY] Getting back into RTTY

Bill Turner dezrat at copper.net
Sun May 20 11:30:23 EDT 2007

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sun, 20 May 2007 19:55:40 +1000, John Cashen <vk4uc at bigpond.com>
 wrote:

>If K6STI is still making RITTY available then I sure would like to
>know how one contacts him.  I need to get a Ritty.lic  file for my W6
>call.  I tried several years ago by snail mail and never received an answer.
>
>What a pity that something akin to it is not available for a modern
>operating system and sound board..

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

Brian once told me years ago that RiTTY could not be made to perform
well on Windows because of the way Windows addresses the sound card,
acting as an intermediary (my word, not his) between the program
itself and the card. RiTTY, running under DOS, addresses the sound
card directly. Because of this, RiTTY requires a very specific sound
card - a Creative Labs Sundblaster 16 ISA - and only a few models of
that will work. I have the details stored away in my archives
somewhere, so if anyone wants more info, let me know.

In my shack, I have an old Compaq DOS computer which runs RiTTY only
and is fed with the same audio as my main Windows program, which is
MMTTY and N1MM Logger. RiTTY demodulates weak, noisy signals better
than MMTTY or any other program/TNC I have tested it against and
that's why I use it. If MMTTY fails to demodulate properly, I glance
over at RiTTY and it usually, but not always, has it. It is truly an
amazing program.

Be sure you have the latest version of RiTTY, 4.54. Older versions
have a bug which causes them to freeze after running for a while,
requiring a reboot. It will not be easy to get an update from Brian
but if you use snail mail and are patient and persistent, you can
probably get it. He will email you the update as an attachment. A word
of caution: Brian has absolutely no tolerance for pirated copies of
RiTTY, so be sure you are a paid owner of the program and make sure
you say so in your letter. Use his snail mail address from QRZ.com.

Brian is truly a genius programmer. His decision to drop out of
amateur radio because of piracy was a huge loss to the fraternity.

Bill W6WRT