[RTTY] DX spots on non-DX's CQ frequency?

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Thu Nov 1 15:19:12 EST 2007

Hello Art and the group,

I have also seen this happening quite a lot lately, and it seems to all be
coming from three or four specific calls/
There's a couple of EA's, at least one CT, one IW and a few ON's that do
this regularly.
During the course of yesterday morning and this morning, some 30 - 40 spots
were put up by two such guys simply listing everything they logged.

Now, I am not sure whether this is deliberate self-spotting, or simply down
to them not understanding the ways of cluster usage. I suspect that for
some, it is a lack of understanding of the protocol, but at least two of
these guys seem to do it deliberately, and on a daily basis.

I can partly understand a self-spot when you are trying to get some contacts
going on - say - 10m or 12m, on an otherwise dead band, and it is a moot
point as to whether you feel this is simply self-spotting, or a serious
attempt to get some folk on to an under-used band.
I have to admit to having done this on 10m recently when the band was open
and the higher part full of SSB signals, but nothing on CW or RTTY.

Whatever your feelings on this, there is simply no need to list each and
every call you work!

Could they be using N1MM and not know about the automatic spotting facility?

73 all

Phil GU0SUP