[RTTY] infos on usb to serial

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Thu Nov 15 15:22:31 EST 2007

Noel,

Many of the generic USB to serial adapters do not do FSK
because their chips no longer include provision for 5 bit
codes and data rates below 300 bps.

There are a couple of easy solutions ... first use EXTFSK
with MMTTY (used in N1MM Logger and WinTest) or use "software
FSK" with Writelog.  Both applications will allow FSK with
the generic USB -> serial adapters.  N1MM Logger happily
supports FSK, PTT and CW on a single adapter if configured
properly.

The second solution ... just say I have a commercial interest
in it <G>.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

PS. the EXTFSK solution also works with WinWarbler (DXLab Suite),
    Logger 32, DX4Win, and other "day to day" logging software
    that use the MMTTY engine for RTTY.