[RTTY] pk232 possible help here

Phil Florig W9IXX at arrl.net
Tue Nov 27 15:06:28 EST 2007

Hi,

Along with John and others, here are some of the notes I have.

1. Connect only the PK-232 and computer first.  Don't worry about
the rig until you can get the PK-232 to initialize.

2. The cable should be a STRAIGHT type (no crossover wires like the null
modem cable) with a DB-25M (for the PK-232) on one end and a DE-9F (sometimes
wrongly called a DB-9) for the computer end.

3. Pinout is as follows:   (use ONLY pins 1-8 and 20 on the DB-25)
DB25M       DE9F       Function
8           1          DCD
3           2          RxD
2           3          TxD
20          4          DTR
7           5          Ground
6           6          DSR
4           7          RTS
5           8          CTS
1           -  (shield if used)

4. At initial power up 4 LEDs on left should light shortly then only the
right LED called Baudot.
If this does not happen and just the four LEDS light is probably an IC or
IC connection. (Will have to dig for further notes on this) Try going thru the
ICs and make sure in all the way.  May want to remove and reinstall but be
careful.

6. If the above is ok, then go to Hyperterm.  Start program and connect
(check the necessary parameters) using some name.
Parameters to start: 1200baud, 7bit, Even, 1 stop
Do a "*" (Shift 8)(no quotes signs used)
and should show the start info of "AEA PK-232 _ _ _ _" then a command
prompt will show.

7. Much more from here but need to get here first...

8. The newer AEA manual has a lot of this and lots more for setting up.

Hope this helps some.

73  Phil    W9IXX

Philip Florig           e-mail:pflorig at ieee.org
115 Horne Rd.               (or):W9IXX at arrl.net
Columbus, NC. 28722         amateur radio:W9IXX
USA                                 MARS:AAR4XX
Web:                              WWW.W9IXX.com
team member:    AH1A-C6DX-CY0AA-J3A-KH8SI-VP2MX
also:       C6AXX-J3X-KH8/-T30,31,32,33P-VP2MPF
Organizations: ARRL,CDXA,MARS,NIDXA,NCDXCC,QCWA
ELX Systems                       Philip Florig
115 Horne Rd.               tel: 1-828-863-2048
Columbus, NC. 28722          fax:1-828-863-2049
USA                    e-mail: pflorig at ieee.org
Organizations:       IEEE Life Member, WNC IEEE
**** INDUSTRIAL POWER SUPPLIES & CONTROLS  ****