[RTTY] Re the LoTW stats

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Fri Nov 30 14:07:54 EST 2007

Hello again,

There have been a few replies, some to me personally, and some to the
reflector.

I have tried to see how the confirmations are made up, in terms of
geographical location.
I guess there is a majority of W/VE confirmations, but that could also be
explained by the fact that there are many  more W/VE stations on air.

I would quite like to check and see exactly how the confirmations are made
up, but can't find an easy way to do this, so will ask dave AA6YQ if there
is an SQL function I can generate to do this for me.

Several folk have suggested it is "easier" for W/VE's to get access to LoTW,
as opposed to the way DX stations have to do it.
I am not sure I agree with this, as it is far from difficult to do from this
end.
I will agree that we do have to POST a copy of our licence and another means
of photographic ID, but this really isn't a problem. There are very clear
instructions on how to do it, and it worked exactly as described.

The main complaint from some DX stations as to why they do not use LoTW
usually boils down to wanting the cards for various awards.
I do too, and don't usually have a problem getting the paper version as well
as the LoTW confirmation.
Maybe if the ARRL started to introduce more awards to the scheme, it may
encourage some more DX stations to take part.

Like many of you, I was also in there at the start!

There was one comment about RTTY guys utilising their computers a lot more.
Interesting point, but I wonder what percentage of those in CQWW were now
using keyboard/PC macro generated CW?
I really cannot imagine many would have been sending on paddles/straight
keys/bugs, and paper logging.

As for the reason for so few confirmations after the CW contest, I am still
not sure I understand the reasoning.
I guess it may be why some of the big guns do not upload their scores to
3830 until way after some of the others. I really don't see what the big
deal is.
Oh well, maybe it just means us RTTY types don't give a jot as to what score
we end up with!

Interesting thoughts though, and some interesting stats!
I have almost 51k QSO's,  with almost 13k confirmations, which is around
25%.

73 all

Phil GU0SUP