[RTTY] From the 3B7C team

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 faunt at panix.com
Wed Oct 3 12:50:46 EDT 2007

   From: Bill Turner <dezrat at copper.net>
   Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 08:08:08 -0700

   Thanks for posting this, Phil. Great info there, especially the advice
   not to call on the last station's frequency. I wish ALL DXPeditions
   would adhere to that.

   One comment I would make to the DX however:  Unless you have a RX with
   exceptional dynamic range, do not use the waterfall. Using the
   waterfall means you have to open up your RX bandwidth far beyond what
   is desirable for good communication, and your AGC is going to wipe out
   the weak ones. Instead, keep your bandwidth between 250-350 Hz and
   tune by hand, using the crossed ellipses.

I'll point out that some DX rtty operators are only going to work the
strong ones.  And as a way of skimming off the strongest signals,
using a broad bandwidth and clicking can be very effective.  I've seen
it.  OTOH, if you WANT to find the weak ones, doing it the hard way is
the only way.

Been there, done that, said that.

73, doug