[RTTY] Bletchley Park (WWII Code Centre) Collosus code breaking event

Carter, K8VT k8vt at ameritech.net
Wed Oct 10 12:17:25 EDT 2007

JT Croteau wrote:
>  Bletchley Park (WWII Code Centre) Collosus code breaking event
>
>  To celebrate the completion of the Colossus Mk 2 there will be an
>  event on 15/16 November in which a series of messages will be
>  enciphered on a WWII Lorenz cipher machine and transmitted using 'six
>  tone' RTTY from the Heinz Nixdorf Computer Museum in Paderborn,
>  Germany.
>
>  The challenge is for anyone to break the cipher settings and decipher
>  these messages before the Rebuild of WW II Colossus Mk 2 in
>  Bletchley Park does it.

Mr. Croteau,
Thanks for the 'heads-up'. It sounds quite interesting!

However, let me see if I've got this straight...

All I have to do is:

1) Build  and de-bug a "six tone" RTTY decoder (what ever that may be)
by Nov 15

2) Hope propagation is good and that there is no QRM during the
transmission..

3) Come up with an unobtainium Lorenz cipher machine

4) Decode the message.

Sounds like quite a challenge, to say the least!   :-)