[RTTY] Makrothen

Robert Chudek k0rc at pclink.com
Mon Oct 15 11:01:44 EDT 2007

Graham,

You don't need to put that flame suit on... this is a perfectly legitimate complaint... and actually I had not considered the possibility that someone might have lost their log in a computer fiasco. But, on the other hand, I always work dupes. On phone I might question the caller if he's showing a dupe, but on CW I just log the contact and move on.

Your message brings up my recent experience in the Pennsylvania QSO Party. I was working stations on CW and came across one "headquarters" station that gave me the dreaded QSO B4 message. Well, I couldn't find him in my log B4, and things were slow at that time so I decided to "play this one out".

I spent about 15 minutes going back and forth with him trying to get a QSO number or time stamp. He gave me a serial number that was 6 QSO's higher than my next number! He then asked for my section, I gave it to him, and never got any response. I'd ask a question, there would be a 1 or 2 minute pause, and then an answer. It became more humorous as each minute ticked by. Eventually, a quarter of an hour was wasted! He finally "just went away" and never put me in his log.

I wasn't a serious contender in this event so I decided to review my log to see if I could figure out the problem. Maybe the problem WAS on my end! Sure enough, I found him in the log.

But... the problem I found was when I worked him 8 hours previous, he was not signing with the "portable M" designator. When I typed the callsign WITH the portable designator the software on my end did not show a dupe.

Lessons learned:

1) Don't change your station callsign during the contest (P5AZ is not the same as P5AZ/M)
2) Work anyone who calls you; a dupe, a zero point QSO, whatever
3) Don't become overconfident the problem is at the "other end"

It's nice to have a contesting refresher course before the "biggies" begin this fall! I hope to have you in my log, even if QSO B4 OM! I can never get enough M5's in my log.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

http://k0rc.spaces.live.com
http://czudek.spaces.live.com
http://chudek.aberon.net