[RTTY] single op, 1 radio, 2 recvrs

scarroll at mchsi.com scarroll at mchsi.com
Tue Oct 16 10:00:43 EDT 2007

Yikes, it's really hard NOT to enter into this discussion. I've been biting my
tongue for so long there's nothing left !!!

> You are constantly repeating this refrain - it is still as
> intellectually and ethically bankrupt as the first day you
> wrote it.  To separate operators into entry classes based on
> the efficiency of their operating technique is about as valid
> as a separate entry class for those who write with one hand
> and send CW with the other would have been in the days of
> paper logs.

It seems to me that by having an EXPERT Class in a contest that would classify
as separating operators based on efficiency of their operating technique
(regardless of whether they entered SO1R or SO2R).

> If you want to separate all those things that give an operator
> an advantage, make anyone with antennas more than 50' above
> ground and more than 1/2 wave of "element" enter a separate
> category.  Make anyone with a second antenna - and the ability
> to listen in two directions at the same time - enter a separate
> class.  Such distinctions are just as valid - after all antennas
> are "no skill" devices like amplifiers - as your insane fixation
> on banishing SO2R operators to the ghetto of a separate entry
> class.

I've had the pleasure (?) of reading both sides of this debate over the past 2
or 3 years. Unfortunately, both Joe and Bill are still singing the same song
and nothing much is getting accomplished. Both are as immovable as bedrock on
their individual positions. Comments fly back and forth, every now and then
someone new to the list injects an opinion (without reading any historical
messages on the topic) and eventually things heat back up to a boiling point.

I must say, in all the messages I've read on this topic nobody makes this SO1R
vs. SO2R debate more NEGATIVE sounding ... "banishing SO2R operators to the
ghetto..." Give me a break !!!

Sorry for the interruption, let me get back to working DX or preparing for the
next RTTY contest.

Good luck in the debate.

73, Steve - AA4U <--- new callsign !!!