[RTTY] JARTS Observations

K0BX k0bx at arrl.net
Mon Oct 22 21:21:57 EDT 2007

I was in and out of the contest all weekend and only made about 200
QSO's but here are a few observations:

1.  There was one station with a big signal running the frequency.  I
guess the operator was new, which is OK, but every time they made a DX
QSO, they spotted it.  That is, they were on the frequency and putting a
spot for the DX.  So each
time I clicked over, instead of finding the DX station, it was the
state-side run station.  I wonder if anyone noticed that?  This station
was on the same frequency for a long time.

2.  This is something that seems to be happening just in the past few
years.  I go to a spot frequency for a DX station and instead find a US
station calling CQ.  I assume that the US station went there to work the
DX, finding that they could not hear the DX, started calling CQ
on what they think is a clear frequency.  In the mean time, everyone
clicking on the spot finds them and not the DX.

3.  I knew there were several new kids on in the contest.  Which is
fine, but I found several stations calling CQ or QRZ and not having a
space, line-feed or BK/K after their call.  So VE_sw because
VE_swxxfskdfnxlfkdnvcdcd.  Being new they were not in the partial
callsign lookup.  I wonder if anyone else found this?

4.  I did hear some QRM for stations on modes other than RTTY.  This has
been going on since the dawn of ham radio.  There is always someone
who's main purpose in life is to 'guard' their frequency.

5.  If I remember correctly, the 'WARC' bands were setup as a
'No-Contest' zone for those who got crowded out during a contest.  I
don't see anything written about this much.  Maybe it is time to remind
folks of it?

These comments are not pointed at anyone.  I am not complaining, I am
glad to see the activity.  Just a few observations.

Joe K0BX