[RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Sat Sep 15 12:53:20 EDT 2007

> Please, Joe! For the ten billionth time, nobody wants you to
> "eschew" any of your skills. We just want them to be in their
> appropriate category.

Bill - you just don't "get it."

This isn't an "appropriate category" issue - separate but equal
was struck down more than 50 years ago.  For both the SO1R and
SO2R operator, if they are playing by the rules, all operating
is performed by a single operator and only one signal (transmitter)
is on the air at any time.  It doesn't make a bit of difference
how many receivers the operator can listen to, how many transmitters
he has in his shack, or how many antennas he has outside.  You are
making an argument based on the "value" or investment in a station.

If you are going to make SO2R a separate category you are
"eschewing" a particular skill.  I guarantee it is entirely
possible - as shown by the YUs at WRTC - to do "SO2R" with
one transmitter and a separate receiver.  It may well be
possible to do SO2R with a single dual-receiver transceiver
if some manufacturer puts their mind to it and does a little
creative packaging.

Again, operators have been using multiple "stations" to listen
for openings on other bands and quickly changing bands for
more than 40 years.  It has never been, nor should it ever be
a reason to banish those operators to a separate category any
more than those who have monoband antennas and multiple towers
should be banished to a separate category.

SO2R is to the multiple stations of the 60s and early 70s
as digital signal processing (MMTTY, MixW, RTTYrite, etc.)
is to the vacuum tube TU and the model 15.  Lead, follow or
get out of the way.

Calls for a separate SO2R class are nothing more than "I don't
want 'their kind' in 'my' class."  It is an emotional argument.
There is no more valid, rational, justification for a separate
entry class for SO2R than there would be justification for a
separate entry class for anyone with an Icom transceiver or for
a separate entry class for anyone who has spent more than $1000
to build his station.

If you want to "level the playing field" do it by applying
a 10 minute rule to ALL single operator classes - see how
popular that is!  If you want to "level the playing field"
put any operator with an antenna more than 50 feet high
and which contains elements totaling more than 1/2 wave in
a separate entry class.

Any argument for separate entry classes based on operating
style (technique) is simply a case of class warfare - the
have nots vs. the haves and stinks of 1960's America or
1930's Germany.

Now, grow up and get over yourself.