[RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R

Bill Turner dezrat at copper.net
Sat Sep 15 21:24:51 EDT 2007

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 19:22:47 -0400, "Neal Campbell"
<nealk3nc at gmail.com> wrote:

>My new rig is a Flex5000a which is a full duplex SDR. In other words,
>I can listen on the second rx while I am transmitting on another VFO.
>What would you do with this one?

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

Don't confuse the number of radios with the number of boxes on your
desk. You have two radios in one box.

One defining characteristic of SO1R is that when the TX is on, the RX
is off and vice versa. In other words, traditional transceiver
operation.

The advantage of SO2R is that the operator can be receiving (looking
for mults and new stations) during the entire contest, where the SO1R
op can only be listening about half the contest. Being able to do that
is a great advantage, much like going to high power or using multiple
transmitters. To compete against people who do not do that is unfair.
Most Americans like a fair fight, don't they?

Bill W6WRT