[RTTY] Travelling to a DX spot for the CQWW RTTY TEST!

ah8dx Craig Maxey ah8dx at msn.com
Sat Sep 15 23:48:29 EDT 2007

Many of you RTTY OP's are probably asking the same question that I am as we approach the CQWW RTTY TEST in a few weeks.   With over 300 countries in the world, I am sure there is another country that you could travel to where RTTY would be needed as a new MULT.

"Why do guys travel to a DX spot to activate that country for the test and other MULTI OP Teams travel to activate that same country?"

I think a way to prevent this from happening in the future would be to have the information posted when your plans are firmed up as to where you and your team will be going. I have known for several months that I was going to the USVI for the RTTY Test and as soon as I firmed up all plans, rented the villa and purchased the airline ticket; I then posted the information on the NG3K.COM website. Shortly after posting my information, there seems to be another team that thinks the USVI would be a great place to do the CQWW RTTY TEST from.

Knowing this, I would change my plans and activate another country but it is too late because it would be too costly.

The main reason I use NG3K.COM to place my information is to prevent exactly what has taken place here.

With that all being said, hopefully this will help contesters understand why op's travel to the same country to activate it for a contest. Next year I will just have to wait the week before I travel so that I can pick a country to activate that hasn't been posted yet.

CU in the CQWW RTTY TEST,

Craig, WP2/AH8DX