[RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R

Chris Plumblee chris.plumblee at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 12:43:07 EDT 2007

--Quoting W6WRT--

> I agree with your statement above for CW and SSB. Two-radio operation
> is most common on RTTY and that is what Joe and I and the others are
> kicking back and forth.

--End Quote--

I fail to see the difference. RTTY, CW, or SSB the SO2R advantage
should be the same, right? If the SO2R advantage only holds true for
RTTY, then it seems to me that perhaps it's not so immutable as some
believe. If K1TO can beat the SO2R advantage on phone and CW, then it
seems to me that he could do it on RTTY as well.

It strikes me (as an observer looking up at the top 10 in any
category) that the defining characteristic of the top 10 is not SO2R
or big amps or big antennas, but skill. I'll posit that the way K1TO
operates one radio is fundamentally different than the way the rest of
us operate one radio.

Lastly, I'll say that I liken SO2R as a skill to understanding
propagation and knowing your station's capabilities. K3ZO is a perfect
example of those two skills, and you'll rarely find K3ZO near the
bottom of  the final listings.