[RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R

Bill Turner dezrat at copper.net
Wed Sep 19 11:18:36 EDT 2007

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:43:07 -0400, "Chris Plumblee"
<chris.plumblee at gmail.com> wrote:

>I fail to see the difference. RTTY, CW, or SSB the SO2R advantage
>should be the same, right? If the SO2R advantage only holds true for
>RTTY, then it seems to me that perhaps it's not so immutable as some
>believe. If K1TO can beat the SO2R advantage on phone and CW, then it
>seems to me that he could do it on RTTY as well.

The difference between the modes is that CW and SSB have to be done in
real time, whereas RTTY is printed on the screen(s) and the op can
focus on one screen for a few seconds and then focus on the other.
With SSB/CW the focus has to be near simultaneous.

That doesn't mean a CW/SSB op can't do it, only that the skill
involved is much greater, IMO.

Bill W6WRT