[RTTY] RTTY Question

billknn at aol.com billknn at aol.com
Thu Sep 20 09:33:19 EDT 2007

My HAL ST-6000 manual?advises? "A slow AGC with fast attack and slow decay is very desirable when receiving FSK signals."

I don't really use the HAL, but I use an IC-746 Pro, FSK, with MMTY. The selectable AGC time constants available on the 'Pro are:
?off, 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.5, 0.8, 1.2, 1.6, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0,?and 6.0. I realize that different conditions such as the presence of strong adjacent signals, QRN,?etc?can require different AGC settings, but I was wondering what some of the experienced hands recommend for a good starting point AGC for RTTY (FSK). Clearly, I use different settings for CW and SSB and sometimes use the old-timers technique of manually riding the Rf gain?control using those other modes. I use a delta loop antenna which usually provides a very good signal to noise ratio.

I'd appreciate any advice and I promise not to use any advice?received as an unfair advantage in any contest.

Bill, KD5XN