[RTTY] [GreenKeys] RE: "Straight key night" for RTTY

Jim Haynes jhhaynes at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 7 21:38:47 EST 2008

When we were doing this [Green Key Night] some years back we were doing it
on Feb 20, the anniversary of legalizing FSK on the HF bands in the U.S.
There were no rules, just get on the air and have fun and remember the
RTTY pioneers, but participants were urged to use mechanical teleprinters
if possible, vacuum tube gear if possible, and 850 Hz shift if possible.

The event never turned out to be very popular, probably because Feb 20
falls on a week night most years.  And the original grant of FSK
privileges started at midnight local time, so the prime time for operating
was the following night, still  Feb. 20 but ending at midnight.

The original date for FSK operation was Feb 20, 1953, so next year will
be the 56th anniversary.

Another thought would be a QSO party or contest where use of mechanical
TTY gear is required, or gets extra points.  Would you want to require
vacuum tube gear?  850 Hz shift?