[RTTY] [YCCC] Windows XP Pro OR Vista?

Andrei Stchislenok asnp3d at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 18:41:59 EST 2008

Don and all,

When I turned my computer last Friday evening I saw this message on the
monitor:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the
original Setup CD-ROM.
Select ' r ' at the first screen to start repair.
This message sounds to me as a nonsense. I am a user not a programmer, hi
Keyboard is not functioning so I can't select anything... Bought this
computer second hand cheap few years ago from someone, no CD.

Anyway, I was going to upgrade my computer and now I have some excuse to go
and spend hard earned dollars. I also spoke to my MIT guys from the company
I work for, they will check it out tomorrow.
I had there all my LoTW Golden keys, all DXCC and WAS logs and files, ohh,
lots of my Ham Radio stuff was there... Hopefully, I will be able to recover
some of them... Well, things happen...

Placed an order this morning in Tigerdirect, will see what I will get. In
two or three days I should receive their computer - IBM with TWO com ports -
I love DB-9 serial ports. Plus 8 USB ports etc.
Paid $199 plus $2.01 for shipping. Honestly, this deal looks (to me) kinda
too cheap, but maybe this is OK... (keep my fingers crossed)

I will keep you guys informing. And thanks to all for advises, especially to
Jerry, W4UK. I can see that about 70-75% are going for Windows XP; the rest
are using Vista, Linux, Mac...

--
73's Andrei
EW1AR-NP3D