[RTTY] RTTY RU Band Changes

Dean Wood cqden6de at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 16:16:08 EST 2008

Hi,

The RTTY Roundup is one of my favorite contests of the year.  I think
that most of the RTTY RU rules and scoring are brilliant, but I agree
with Rowland: I don't like the RTTY RU off-time rule.

I read K7IRA's explanation about why the 2 max off-time rule exists,
and I must say that I am unconvinced.  Essentially K7IRA is saying
that the rationale for this rule is to attempt to level the playing
field because some folks want to sleep in a long segment of time,
therefore everyone else in the contest should have to be bound by that
same restriction or else they might get an advantage.

There are several problems with that justification.  WS7I mentioned
that RTTY RU is a contest designed for strategy.  However, the 2 max
off-time rule actually removes a lot of options available to the
operator, significantly diminishing the element of strategy that
off-time duration and selection plays in most other contests.  Also,
there's a phrase quoted from K7IRA: "The top scorers usually plan
their rest periods and exercise the discipline to stick with that
plan..."  I disagree.  Yes, successful operators have an operating and
off-time plan prior to the contest, but the top operators modify that
plan during the contest if needed, according to contest conditions,
activity, rate at any given time, missing multipliers, and other
factors (eg: rain static).  Or prior to the contest, an operator
examining a rate sheet and mult list from the 2008 RTTY RU, and
finding that a proposed plan involving 3 or 4 off-time periods, would
be unable to implement it in the 2009 running.  It is not whining as
K7IRA crassly postulates.  Giving the operator more control over his
off-time simply makes good sense.  Lastly, I'm not sure which "guys
with gray hair" that K7IRA refers to, but they don't represent the OTs
that I know!  Some can run circles around me in terms of requiring
little sleep in a contest.  Some *cannot* sleep anywhere close to 6
hours straight.

Perhaps for the 2010 running of RTTY RU, we can look at shedding this
peculiar 2 max off-time rule, allowing ops to take unlimited off-time
segments between 30 minutes to 6 hours in duration.

73...
-Dean - N6DE