[RTTY] Stateside QSL Bureau

wb6rse1 at mac.com wb6rse1 at mac.com
Mon Dec 29 13:57:24 EST 2008

On Dec 29, 2008, at 10:14 AM, Peter Laws wrote:

> Thank you - missed that.
>
> I was thinking that the call area buros were more independent than
> they really are.
>
> Pity, though.
_________

They are dependent by design. The League receives the incoming DX
cards and pays for the labor to sort and package the cards that go to
the district bureau volunteers. The League also pays for the postage
to these bureaus and the postage the bureaus incur sending the cards
to the individual segment managers. Non ARRL members get a free ride.
Many national organizations require membership to receive cards. DX
cards can be sent directly to the call areas but only for that
specific call area. The League still pays the postage to send the
cards to the individual segment managers.

The expectation is and always has been to only receive DX cards in
your SASEs via the League system. The US Domestic QSL Bureau is
evidently designed to be a compliment but completely independent of
the League. There have been many like this in the past that have all
gone the way of the dodo. Many ops simply aren't interested in
domestic cards other than direct.

BTW - Being a segment manager volunteer is a time consuming and often
a thankless job.

73 - Steve WB6RSE

PS - I'm looking forward to posts about RTTY only from here on. HNY.