[RTTY] 30 meter rtty restrictions

George Henry ka3hsw at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 4 20:27:30 EST 2008

Not sure what you mean "The dumb ARRL approved it."...  I didn't see anything in that article that referenced PropNet, and the ARRL can't overrule the FCC rules.  The article is basically just a "yeah, the bands are crowded, so let's be a little understanding" piece.  But the fact that PropNet beaconing is NOT a "legitimate activity" on that frequency changes everything.  Furthermore, beacons do not enjoy the same protections as general amateur communications:  97.203(f) requires a beacon to cease operation immediately if notified by an FCC District Director that it is interfering with other amateur operations.  It then may NOT resume operation until approved by the EIC.  There is NO requirement that anybody else accomodate a beacon that is causing interference.

The only reason that PropNet and ALE have gotten away with what they have been doing is because nobody has reported them (or at least, not with supporting facts)

If the PropNet guru doesn't care, e-mail the offender directly.  If he doesn't care, write to Riley.  He WILL act.

George