[RTTY] WPX thoughts

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Mon Feb 11 06:41:22 EST 2008

Hi again,

Just a few thoughts about WPX that I have been thinking about.

Was it just me, or were there a lot of stations sending a report before they
had even been acknowledged?
I frequently encountered this:
CQ WPX DE GU0SUP CQ
TU UR 599 001 001 DE XX1XX KN
XX1XX TU 599 100 100 100 DE GU0SUP
and then nothing back! What does everyone else do in situations like this? I
logged them, but I am not too happy with this.

The cluster: As always, some folk send spots based on their rig frequency,
not the MARK frequency.
Most times, this isn't a problem, but over the weekend, I encountered a few
instances where I was running on the frequency of a spot that came through
for another call.
I then ended up with this:
CQ WPX DE GU0SUP CQ
DE XX1XX XX1XX KN
XX1XX TU 599 100 100 100 DE GU0SUP
AA5AU TU UR 599 001 001 DE XX1XX KN
And then they were gone before I could get them to correct my call! Again,
what does everyone else do?

I also had a lot if instances where one of the so-called "big guns" would
just call and call over a QSO in progress, and still not QRX when asked to
do so!
This got slightly annoying when it happened on one band, but to have it
happen with the same calls on several bands was severely trying my patience!
There was an EA, a DL1, a UW2, and an SP0 that kept doing this.

The upside is that I enjoyed it anyway, and had a real ball on the bands.
There were some nice highlights for me, including the new band-slots, but I
guess I was a first GU for quite a few too, and that is always fun.

Since putting my log on LoTW, I have had over 100 confirmations! Looks like
LoTW was busy during the night!

Thanks to all for the great contest, and see you in the next one!

73 de Phil GU0SUP