[RTTY] Short Serial Numbers

aa5au at bellsouth.net aa5au at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 11 09:27:42 EST 2008

There's a couple of things to think about with short serial numbers and WPX (and some other RTTY contests with serial numbers).  The WPX rules specifically state "VI. Exchange: RS(T) report plus a progressive three-digit serial number starting with 001 for the first contact. (Continue to four digits if past 999.)" Unfortunately some people don't read the rules.  Those sending one or two digital serial numbers are in violation of the rules.

The rules also state "Your log MUST show the correct serial number sent and received for each contact".  So does this mean that if you receive serial number 1 then you have to log it as 1?  I think not.

Furthermore, the WPX rules state that the serial number LOGGED must be a three or four digital serial number.  So if someone sends you serial number 4 then it should be logged as 004 according to the rules.  However, I haven't done this in the past because of the old school thinking of "log what you receive".  This old school thinking is outdated.  Unfortunately not all contest logging software converts 1 and 2 digit serial numbers to 3 digits, so they need to be manually entered into the log as 3 digital serial numbers.

But in the past, I've NEVER had a QSO rejected because it was logged as a 1 or 2 digital number.  However, because of the rule that states serial numbers must be logged as three or four digits, I now convert 1 and 2 digit serial numbers to three digits before logging.  It's the safe thing to do.

I guarantee that if Eddie G0AZT was checking logs, those sending 1 and 2 digit numbers would have their first 99 contacts disallowed and those logging 1 and 2 digit numbers would have those contacts disallowed.  It seems the robot and contest manager now let this one slide.

73, Don AA5AU

-------------- Original message from Art Searle W2NRA <w2nra at optonline.net>: --------------