[RTTY] Crazy Idea for FSK

Lee Buller k0wa at swbell.net
Wed Feb 13 16:37:48 EST 2008

I'm not new to RTTY, but I have just renewed my interest in the mode over the past two years.  I just joined this reflector.

One of the issues I find with RTTY is the lack of FSK through software.  Yes, I know that MMTTY does do FSK, but I am not in love with the way they do it.  You have to have the RS232 port or the LPT1 ports to do it and some CPUs just don't have them anymore with the USB port taking things over.

Here is the crazy idea....a reverse terminal unit.  How about decoding the tones coming out of the soundcard in AFSK and turning them into to switched pulses.  Now I am not an electronics engineer or even close, but that would solve the problem of FSK....just demod the output of the soundcard and then use that on the FSK line of any rig.  One could do this with a couple of 567(?) decode chips are what ever is on the market at this time.  Heck, I think you could do it with one chip.  Use an optoisolator to key the rig.  FSK!

Anybody like the idea or is it just crazy?

Lee - K0WA
"Think out of the box"

In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common Sense divine?