[RTTY] VP6DX RTTY

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Thu Feb 21 13:14:36 EST 2008

On Feb 21, 2008, at 2/21    7:09 AM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:

> I guess the contact is not all that important then.........
>
> Alex Malyava wrote:
>> I do have an antenna,
>> I just dont want to deal with WARCs.

I guess I must be much less discriminating than Alex.  I just work
them when I find them, and I find that I learn more about propagation
and pileup techniques with each contact that I make.

Plus, I can never turn down any DX RTTY contact :-).

The RTTY ops at VP6DX are very good and they are back to repeating
your callsign in their exchanges :-).  They have a quiet QTH; so lots
of people should be able to make a contact on RTTY -- the piles are
much thinner at this point and they are almost begging.  I saw long
stretches of CQ on 30m RTTY last night (and also an exchange where
they admonished a "W5" for trying to make a dupe contact :-).

Except for the DXpeditions that Doug were in, I have seldom seen RTTY
given as much air time as VP6DX (a far, far cry from VP6DI).

Those guys can hear you even if you use a wet noodle as an antenna.
I got through with a peanut whistle station running 100 watts using
verticals and wires; a 160m CW contact was made with them using a
center fed wire that is 30 meters long and 12 meters in the air.   I
"never" work 160m, but I have made two exceptions in my lifetime, one
for N8S and one for VP6DX.

73
Chen, W7AY