[RTTY] Special VP6DX for EU on 17 mtrs - EU please read

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 22 17:50:27 EST 2008

Don Greenbaum asked me to post this to the RTTY reflector...

News release
Ducie Island Expedition
2008 Feb 22 Fri 1700z

Highlights:
   ... Special 17m RTTY session for Europe schedule for Feb 23 Saturday ...

   The 17m band opens at Ducie Island sometime between 1300-1400Z.
Usually it opens quickly to Europe.  We have been running a CW and a SSB station on 17m.  Propagation deteriorates to Europe and
rates slow about 1630z, with only western Europe getting through.  By 1830z the band is closed to Europe.

   During the first 3 hours of the opening, rates run over 120 QSO/hr on both the CW and SSB stations.

   We have been receiving requests for 17m RTTY operations to Europe during this same time period.  We can not run a third station
on RTTY, so either the CW or SSB station would have to be sacrificed.  In the past few days we have done this during the later part
of the opening when CW/SSB rates are slower.

   RTTY rates are significantly slower than CW/SSB rates; e.g., 75/hr.
The consequence of switching a station over to RTTY means about 120 stations per hour do NOT get 17m band-mode credits for Ducie
Island for their 5-band DXCC... while SOME of the 75 stations/hr worked on RTTY will get credit for Ducie Island (others will
already have an RTTY credit from the 30m or 20m Europe RTTY openings).

   We feel that, for the DXing population as a whole in Europe, it is less beneficial to put a RTTY station on the air during the
strong 17m Europe opening.

   In reviewing the log to date, we find that almost all RTTY contacts on 17m with Europe so far (about 100 stations) have not been
duplicated on 20m or 30m.

   To strike some balance between these conflicting demands, we will put a RTTY station on 17m during one opening, from band opening
to band closing.  Because we presently have more SSB contacts with Europe on 17m (3600 as of Feb 22/1000z) than CW contacts (2900),
the SSB operation that day will be sacrificed.

   In order to allow the widest range of European RTTY DXers to attempt to work this 17m RTTY operation, this day will occur on the
weekend: Feb 23 Saturday.  We ask that European RTTY DXers who already have a RTTY contact NOT chase us on 17m during this special
session.  We will examine the results before deciding whether another special session will be scheduled.

   Europe RTTY DXers unsuccessful in this special 17m session and still looking for their first RTTY contact (and RTTY DXCC credit)
with Ducie Island should focus on 20m and 30m openings.

   We have added a second 30m antenna system, and generally plan to run two stations (CW and RTTY) through the Ducie Island night:
0300-1400z for the remainder of the expedition.

   Thank you for your understanding and patience.

73 and good luck!

-- Eric K3NA
-- Carsten DL6LAU
   co-leaders

N1DG--Licensed since 1962
EX-WB2DND, A61AD (GUEST OP, QSL MGR), A52DG, /KH9, /BV, /VS6, /4X, /9V
Pilot:  VU7RG, 3Y0X, VK9ML, D68C, VK0IR, K8XP/KH9, 9M0C, ZK1XXP, ZL9CI
Webmaster: BS7H, K5K, A52A, VK0IR, 9M0C, ZK1XXP, WB2DND/KH9, BQ9P, ZL9CI QSL Manager:  A61AD, A61AO, A61X, A61AQ, KH7Z
Member:  FOC, ARRL, DDXA, YCCC
2006 Inductee into the CQ DX Hall of Fame DON GREENBAUM , DUXBURY, MA, USA
AIM:  aurumtel