[RTTY] VP6DX

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Wed Feb 27 19:58:50 EST 2008

> The baud rate of the FSK port in the microHAM keyers (microKeyer,
> digiKeyer, microKeyer II) is set using an integer whose value
> is 2700/rate.  Integer values that give baud rates that are
> closest to 45.45 are therefore 59 and 60.

This is, or should be, a non-issue.  The less than 1% error is
less than the clock error of many UARTs and/or USB to serial
converters  Hardware UARTs generally include PLL clock recovery
circuits (that's the only way the early Orion with its >10%
data rate errors would work with most serial ports) and good
software decoders also implement clock recovery.

> Baudot consists of 1 start bit, 5 data bits and 1.5 stop bits (stop
> could be anywhere between 1.4 and 2 for teletypes, but most software
> appear to use 1.5).  For validated decoding, you therefore want the
> mid bit samples to be good for about 7.5 bits.  I.e., you want the
> last sample to stay within the bit timing no more than 1/2 a
> bit from the mid bit position.
>
> A 1/100 per bit error will accumulate to 1/14 bit error at
> the end of each Baudot character.  So, instead of sampling
> at the middle of the last bit, you will be sampling at the
> middle plus or minus 1/14 of a bit.

You need to be sampling more than once per bit - particularly
with 1.5 stop bits and quasi-synchronous decoding.  If you're
oversampling, the < 1% clock error is even less of a factor.

I would suspect other factors (overly wide filters, receiver
IMD, receiver AGC desense, mistuning, improper shift, etc.)
will cause far more issues than an insignificant variation
in the UART clock rate.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV