[RTTY] Microham RTTY

Alan Burgstahler alan-ham at comcast.net
Thu Feb 28 14:12:11 EST 2008

My take on what was happening with the VP6DX operation was that it was
similar to what occurred with another software program a year or so ago, and
they found that there was something wrong with the way the program
implemented the sending of the RTTY characters, and it was later fixed.  It
appeared that the VP6DX characters were being sent properly (i.e., 22ms per
pulse for the marks and spaces), but that the characters were slow in being
sent out.  In other words, instead of sending 60 wpm (which isn't exactly
correct), they were only sending about 45-50 wpm, but each character was
being sent out with the proper timing within the character.  There was just
a blank space of time between characters.  (I hope this makes sense.)  I
still hear some people on RTTY contests sending this way, and I think NP3D
is one of them.  He seems to send each the characters slowly, but the timing
within the character is correct or we wouldn't be able to copy what he's
sending.  It has something to do with how the software program sends the
characters to the MMTTY program, for instance, but the MMTTY program sends
each character correctly.

Alan - N7BF