[RTTY] [CQ-Contest] RTTY Reflections

Peter Laws plaws at plaws.net
Tue Jan 8 09:35:14 EST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 4:51 AM, Shelby Summerville <k4ww at arrl.net> wrote:

> by others, but you can let Don know the "name you prefer". Dedicated RTTY
> contesters tend to be more "laid back", than those on other modes,

Really?  Then why all the attempts to control the characters others
put in their macros?   I get annoyed at folks that have '/' in their
exchange or the full state name, but hey, that's ultimately their
problem not mine.  People will eventually find out what works FOR
THEM.

> and the "name" file is just part of that "laid back" type of operation.

No, like those super check partial files that are around, they are a
way to cheat.  :-)

As I mentioned before, many folks are *certain* I am still in IL or
that my call is N9UWY (not the same as N5UWY/9 in case you are
wondering).

I've taken to giving them one chance to fix it (i.e. by repeating the
call several times before I send my exchange or MY CALL N5UWY N5UWY).

Most get it; some don't.

The ones that don't get it *know* they are right because their cheat
files tell them so.  I get the point and they don't - literally!

"The only sure bulwark of continuing liberty is a government
strong enough to protect the interests of the people, and
a people strong enough and well enough informed to
maintain its sovereign control over its government." - FDR