[RTTY] Those who don't follow the "norm"

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Wed Jan 9 10:36:08 EST 2008

Hi all,

It has been said before, and it will get said again and again, but the
simple fact is, it is no use airing views about those who don't follow the
"norm" in a contest on this forum.
We all pretty much follow the rules, and behave in what I hope is a polite
and diligent manner.

As a "DX" station of sorts, I get loads of folk in a contest who just want
GU on RTTY, so I do get name, QTH, grid square, and plenty of other
pre-formed macros.
That is partly why I spend more time S&P than CQ. In the ARRL RRU, I did
almost 95% S&P, and managed to work quite a few mults that I would otherwise
have missed.

When I first started RTTY contesting, I was probably one of those who sent a
rather verbose exchange on occasions, but back then, I wasn't contesting as
such, mostly picking up new entities on as many bands as possible.
Also, I wasn't using contest specific software, so had a limited choice of
macros to hand, most of which I wasn't confident about changing.
After many months, I started to become more contest orientated, bought
contest software (first WF1B, then Writelog) and things developed from
there.
I don't enter contests to win, as my setup isn't suitable for such an
objective, but I have bucket loads of fun!
GU is still a worthy mult for most, and it can be great fun to have a huge
pile-up in a contest.

So, what is to be done? I think the best solution would be to get an article
in your society magazine, and maybe another popular local magazine, about
how to start RTTY contesting.
This will reach a wider reader base than this forum.
Also, why not include a basic guide to RTTY contesting in the program at one
of the DX gatherings you attend?
I know this has been done in the UK and in the USA, but these are not the
areas that seem to need guidance. Most stations that seem to need some idea
are European, both west and east.

We all have to start somewhere, and some will learn how to play to their
best advantage, and others will not. Some will fall by the wayside, and some
will go on to become serious RTTY contesters.
It would also be good to encourage some more folk to submit their scores to
the 3830 reflector, and to actually submit a log to the contest organisers!

I think a little patience is called for on occasions, and let's keep it the
"friendly" mode! Getting annoyed with some folk who don't behave in the way
you want them to isn't always helpful, although I have to admit to shouting
at the screen on occasions!

These are just my thoughts at the moment, and I can see both sides of the
case.

73 all

Phil GU0SUP