[RTTY] Fw: ALE Sounding. What is it and how does it work?

George Henry ka3hsw at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 11 10:52:02 EST 2008

Have to disagree with you on the soundings, Andy...  re-read Bonnie's explanation of what soundings are and how they work:  her very first point says "... ALE sounding is simply a station ID.  No other text is sent."  Later she specifially states "Sounding is not CQ.  If you want to call CQ, use the HFL or QRZ netcall."  If it's not sent to a specific station or with the intent of establishing 2-way communication *at that moment*, it's an illegal one-way transmission.  I believe this also constitutes automatic beaconing, despite what Bonnie claims (her claim that they are not one-way transmissions is absurd), and automatic beacons are prohibited below 10 meters.  Third, Bonnie defines ALE as a message-forwarding system, and automatic control of a digital station is prohibited UNLESS the station is 1) responding to interrogation and 2) transmitting with a  bandwidth of less that 500 Hz.  The only thing that soundings actually do is establish a heard list at other ALE stations, unless someone happens to be holding traffic for the sounding station, at which time it will respond with a link request.  However, since the station holding the traffic actually initiates the connection, and not in response to a connect request or interrogation, it's almost certainly illegal automatic control of a digital station.

To summarize, I believe that automatic ALE soundings are 1) prohibited one-way transmissions; 2) illegal automated beaconing below 10 meters, and; 3) illegal automatic control of a digital station.

At any rate, the ARRL has forwarded my inquiry to the FCC for a rules interpretation, so we should know for sure soon.

73,

George, KA3HSW