[RTTY] J5C and RTTY Stations

K0BX k0bx at arrl.net
Sun Jan 13 14:47:55 EST 2008

It is Sunday afternoon and I have been listening/copying J5C on 20 meter
RTTY.  I worked them on Saturday so I am not in the chase.

I still hear stations calling on his frequency.  Even with the Frequency
police telling them up up up they don't understand.  But I have done the
same thing from time to time, with my PRO3, I go to hit the Dual Watch
button and instead hit the Split button and there I am calling on the DX
frequency.  It happens, and I am glad someone tells me.

But listening to the pileup I hear W4PPZ calling and calling with a very
good signal but upside-down tones.  No frequency cop is going to tell
him that.  I don't know if W4PPZ every figured out what was wrong, but
he sure has wasted over an hour of calling.

During the ARRL RTTY Roundup I was operating with AB0RX and I had two
stations calling that their tones were reverse.  I did stop and tell
them.  Both went away and came back later with the problem corrected.
Another station only had one tone.  If we hadn't stop and told him about
it, he would have continued calling and calling and calling never
figuring out what was wrong.

I guess it is all a matter of training and experience.  So next time you
hear a station who's signal is not quite right, tell him about it, don't
get mad.

Joe K0BX