[RTTY] Need some networking help

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 25 22:41:37 EST 2008

I sent this to the WriteLog reflector but it hasn't made it through.  Hopefully someone here on RTTY can help.

Not directly related to RTTY, but I'm trying to set up my laptop on my network so I can use it for WriteLog to perhaps replace my
Win98se machine in the future or even run a 3rd radio.  I just installed my Microham Microkeyer on it and it works great with
WriteLog and the MMTTY plug-in.

I have four computers on the network - all in the same workgroup.  Used the network setup procedure for Windows.  All PC's go
directly into a DHCP router. I'm not exactly a dummy at this but not a network guru either.

Computer 1 - My main computer running Windows XP Pro Computer 2 - My wife's computer running Windows XP Home Computer 3 - My
secondary shack computer running Windows 98 Computer 4 - Laptop running Windows XP Media Center Edition

PROBLEM:  Computer 1 and Computer 4 do not see each other on the network.  And I cannot ping between computer 1 and 4.

Computer 1 sees only 2 & 3, not 4
Computer 2 sees all computers
Computer 3 sees all computers
Computer 4 sees only 2 & 3, not 1

I turned off the firewall on 1 and 4 and that didn't make a difference.

The laptop is plugged into the router through the Ethernet network adapter plus is connected to the router through Wi-Fi, but I've
tried disabling one or the other (hardwire & Wi-Fi) and it doesn't make a difference, computer 1 and 4 just don't see each other.

I can actually network 1, 3 & 4 with WriteLog TCP/IP networking (computer 2 does not have WriteLog) by using Computer 3 (Win98se
machine) as the WL server and it works.  Stations logged on both 1 and 4 show up on in all three logs.  But since I'm trying to
eliminate the Win98se machine, I need computer 1 and 4 to see each other.

Got to be something simple I am overlooking or just don't know about.  Could use a little help.

Thanks & 73, Don AA5AU
http://www.aa5au.com
http://www.rttycontesting.com