[RTTY] LCR 2008 RTTY RU

WS7I ws7i at ewarg.org
Wed Jul 30 14:17:31 EDT 2008

I find that that most of the NIL's are from the following:

(1) Two people on the same frequency and the short exchanges can be easily confused.

(2) Actually a good contact but to a wrong call that didn't send in a log.

14116 RY 2008-01-05 2129 WA1PMA          WA N9AUG           OH

The above might, MIGHT, be an example. I was running WA1PMA on a very clear frequency, and logged N9AUG.  N9AUG clearly submitted a log and I (WA1PMA) wasn't in it at that time.  So if I actually worked say N9AUH and miscopied the call and he didn't send in a log it would result in a NIL.

Part of the reason that multiple recoders are probably fairly important in a RTTY contest.  Especially when there are penalty points being taken.

Another important aspect when you look at LCR's calculate QSO points x Mults not QSO's as they very well may be different.

BTW bad exchanges are found more frequently with SO2R stations than with SO1R stations.  They seem to sometimes confuse the receiving station as they expect a certain serial number. e.g. 1388 as he just sent the station before 1387.  And in the mean time on another frequency has sent 1388, so the receiving station logs a bad number when 1389 is sent.