[RTTY] [TCG] 80 vertical

David R. Wilson david at wwns.com
Sun Jun 8 23:08:13 EDT 2008

Hello Nick,

I have not had much time to be contesting, however have had some
experience with loops and to a lesser degree verticals.

I would second Billy's suggestion.  Last antenna I had the chance to
play with on 75 was a 2 element delta loop.  It played very well.
Given the chance I would want to have one of each.  The loop primarily
because it is a bit quieter (especially during the summer).  In some
cases it may be worth transmitting on the vertical and receiving on the
loop.  If you have the real estate long wires for receiving can be worth
the time spent doing the construction.

What I can't quantify is what gain / pattern I had with the delta.  It
was interleaved with guy lines that probably made the pattern a bit
messy.  I can say it played well.

The paper from the presentation at Dayton mentioned below was quite
informative.  Thanks to Billy for posting that.

Dave
KU4B