[RTTY] ICOM 718

Dan Beidler ke4jsx at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 5 14:00:30 EST 2008

I've always thought RTTY was an interesting mode of communication.  It wasn't until a recent club meeting that I learned how relatively simple it was to set up my  IC-718.  One of my elmers helped me wire up the cable (ie - I watched him make the connections).  We tested it out and I took it home.  It's amazing to watch the text come across the screen.  My only problem is that I have not yet been able to get my computer to make the PTT happen.  It sends only if I manually key the mic and then push TX or one of the other preset buttons.  I've determined that the PTT is made up to the ACC connection on the back of the rig (I took off the bottom cover and put my meter across pin out 2 & 3 per the book and the signal from the computer was evident as well as releasing the PTT once the sequence was finished.)  Today I did a hard reset on the 718, put it back into RTTY mode, hit the 1x2 button, heard the signal from the sound card but the radio stayed in RX the whole time.  Any
 suggestions?

  Dan